Let’s face it, there will always be those nights when cooking is simply out of the question. Here’s my quick guide to making smart choices when you’re stuck eating a fast food dinner…
- Choose Grilled: many fast food restaurants serve grilled chicken – choose this as often as you can.
- Ditch the Bun: If a sandwich or burger is the only option then lighten it up by asking to have it lettuce wrapped or simply ditching half (or all) of the bun.
- Dressing on the Side: Salads are a great choice, but don’t ever let the restaurant drench it in dressing. Get the dressing on the side and simply dip a little bit to taste. Also avoid croutons or any other high-calories add-ons.
- Skip the Fries: Most fast food places now carry more side options than just fries. Avoid all of the fried sides and stick with steamed vegetables or fruit.
- Don’t drink Calories: Just because you’re eating out doesn’t give you license to drink a few hundred calories. Stick with water or unsweetened iced tea to easily avoid unnecessary sugar and calories.
- Fruit for Dessert: That package of cookies or brownie that comes with your meal may look tasty, but you’re not eating it. You have a fitness goal, remember? Stick with fruit and you’ll be leaner and happier for it.